If the roof on your Huntsville-area home is due for replacement, upgrading to standing seam metal roofing is an option that’s well-worth considering. Standing seam metal roofing systems typically last two to three times longer than shingle roofs and provide other impressive benefits including superb wind, hail, and fire resistance.
What is Standing Seam Metal Roofing?
Durable metal roofing has been used here in the United States since the 19th century, and corrugated and ribbed metal is commonly seen on industrial and commercial buildings, both old and new. In recent years, an updated residential version of classic metal roofing called standing seam became available, and it’s now one of the most popular material choices with today’s homeowners. The improved design features raised seams with hidden fasteners for a sleek, modern look and greater protection against leaks.
Benefits and Drawbacks of a Metal Roof
The potential drawback of choosing metal roofing is the higher upfront cost compared to most roofing materials. When you consider the many advantages that a metal roof provides, it’s easy to see that the benefits outweigh the extra initial expense, though:
- Long lifespan. Metal is one of the longest-lasting types of roofing materials, with an expected lifespan of 50+ years.
- Exceptional durability. Standing seam roofing is fabricated from 26-gauge or thicker metal, and it’s highly-rated for wind, impact and fire resistance.
- Savings on insurance premiums. Thanks to the material’s durability and the enhanced safety it provides, it costs less to insure a home with a metal roof.
- Energy efficiency. A standing seam metal roof with a highly-reflective finish applied can cut your cooling costs by up to 40 percent because it resists heat absorption so less warmth gets transferred down into your home’s attic.
- Sustainability. Metal roofing is typically made using a minimum of 25 percent recycled materials, and it’s also fully recyclable at the end of its long lifespan.
- Excellent warranty coverage. A metal roof that’s installed by a skilled professional comes with a workmanship guarantee and a lengthy material and non-fade paint warranty.
- Aesthetic appeal. The clean lines of standing seam metal boost the aesthetic of virtually all home styles, from traditional to contemporary, and the material is available in a wide range of premium and custom color choices to perfectly compliment any exterior palette.
To learn more about the many benefits of metal roofing systems, contact us at Yellowhammer Roofing.Read: 3 Reasons Why a Metal Roof Takes Your Home to the Top