What is Commercial Roofing?
Your business, warehouse, or storefront shop are all safely protected by commercial roofing. Whether you run a Mom and Pop candy shop inside a shingled, quaint gingerbread house or a massive auto parts distribution warehouse, your roof is different from a residential roof.
Protecting your roof could be any of five major roofing materials. They are specific to commercial applications due to necessary expenses at installation, increased durability, and heavy-duty qualities.
These five commercial roofing materials are available for Birmingham businesses. They will withstand Birmingham’s unique challenges of heat, humidity, and harsh sunlight. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
- TPO — Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) is an innovative, single-ply roofing membrane. It is made from polypropylene and ethylene-propylene rubber polymerized together. TPO is tough and long-lasting yet affordable protection for even the largest low-slope roofs. GAF produces a complete line of TPO membrane in thicknesses ranging from 45 mil to 80 mil.
- EPDM — stands for “Ethylene propylene diene terpolymer.” EPDM is a synthetic rubber roofing membrane which combines ethylene and propylene distillates from oil. As a result, it is naturally hydrophobic and resists tearing due to its polymer makeup. It installs easily. EPDM is available in black or white. Seams are greatly reduced because it comes in widths of up to 50 feet.
- Bituminous Membrane — Modified bituminous membranes are known for their flexibility. Their convenient working sized rolls are easily handled by one roofer. Their fast application is done either by either torch, hot-mop, or chemical adhesives. Recent developments with self-adhesive modified bitumen have led to an even greater variety of applications in low-slope roofing.
- Metal — Metal roofing is durable, versatile, and beautiful. It works well in steep-slope applications and some low-slope areas. For commercial roofing, almost nothing will outlast a metal roof.
- Shingles — Looking for that cozy, homey touch for your business or commercial property? Shingles convey warmth and neighborliness. For commercial purposes, the higher-profile, architectural shingles make strong, eye-catching statements.
Whatever you need for your Birmingham commercial roof, Yellowhammer has a suitable material available. We are your local, trustworthy commercial roofer for all the Birmingham area. We have strong manufacturers’ credentials. We take pride in helping fellow business owners protect their investments with the best roofing materials. Contact Yellowhammer Roofing today to learn more about your options in commercial roofing.