When it comes to any damage which has occurred to your roof, the hope usually is to simply have it repaired.
Unfortunately, repairs are not always an option and the roof will need to be replaced. In some cases, repair may be an option, but replacement is still the way to go. The following is a brief guide on how to tell whether your roof needs to be repaired or replaced.
Signs You Need to Repair Your Roof
- There are missing or damaged shingles – If any of your shingles are cracked, broken off, or missing, they should be replaced right away. If they aren’t you’ll leave your roof vulnerable to water damage and surrounding shingles will be more likely to be torn off as well.
- The flashing is missing or damaged – Your roof’s flashing is responsible for helping prevent leaks where the roof meets your roof features, such as the chimney. If flashing is missing or damaged, this area will be exposed to potential water damage.
- There are roof leaks – If you spot any leaks in your attic, they should be patched up immediately.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Roof
- Your roof is aging – If your roof is between 15 and 30 years old, you might want to forego any major (and expensive) repairs in favor of replacing your roof. This is because your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan anyway and should be replaced soon.
- Your roof is leaking everywhere – Although isolated leaks can easily be repaired, if there are many leaks all over your roof, it’s probably a sign it needs to be replaced.
- Your gutters are full of granules – If the granules on your shingles are washing off into your gutters, it means the roof needs to be replaced.
- Repairs are too expensive – If roof repairs are going to cost anywhere near half of what it would cost to replace your roof, replacing it will be more cost-effective.
Besides repairing or replacing your roof based on the obvious signs, you may choose repairs over replacement even if replacement is more cost-effective in long run just because of current budgetary constraints. However, you’ll want to choose replacement over repair if there’s any risk involved in keeping the roof you have. To schedule roof repair or replacement in Birmingham, AL, be sure to contact us at Yellowhammer Roofing today.