Remember your elementary school science? Condensation is one of the physical phase changes of matter, alongside others like evaporation and deposition. Condensation occurs when gas vapor cools enough to turn to liquid. If you ever wondered whether you have a leaky roof or condensation, we are here to help!
Roof leaks involve evaporation, not condensation. Liquid water finds a way into your Alabama home through the roof, drips onto rafters, insulation, and drywall, and causes ugly, dark stains on surfaces. Eventually that water evaporates but leaves behind damage.
Never climb on your roof in search of leaks. Outside your home, you can safely spot likely areas for roof leaks for your local roofer to fix:
- From an extension ladder, do you see shingle granules in your gutters?
- From the yard, do you see missing or damaged shingles?
- From your yard, can you see moss growing on your roof?
- Do your roof and chimney surfaces show discoloration, black stains, or mold?
Inside your home, inspect your attic, looking for signs of roof leaks: discoloration, rot, mold, or mildew. Check your attic insulation; is it wet?
In the living space, dark stains, water streaks, or active water drips on ceilings and walls indicate roof leaks that your local, helpful residential roofer can end with fast roof repair.
Your Alabama home suffers from condensation if the water you see on your ceilings is localized to damp areas, such as the kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms. Check your kitchen ceiling the next time you have a boiling pot of spaghetti water on the stove; those droplets on the ceiling are from condensation, not a roof leak.
You are temporarily putting more moisture into the air than your heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system can handle. If you have ruled out roof leaks by the methods above, you are probably dealing with condensation.
Fight condensation with these tips:
- Turn off the whole-house humidifier immediately after winter
- Keep air vents open to improve air flow
- Ensure air ducts and fan ducts are clear of lint and dust
- Reduce shower times
- Use high-quality kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans
- Run exhaust fans every time you use hot water
- Keep exhaust fans running at least 15 minutes after hot water use
To solve all your roofing problems, contact us today at Yellowhammer Roofing in Birmingham, Alabama. We handle it all, from roof inspections, repair, and emergencies to full roof replacement.