8 Simple Changes Lead to Big Monthly Savings
Birmingham area homeowners interested in reducing their utility bills and energy usage may be pleasantly surprised at how simple changes can add up to s large difference. Taking the time to schedule a roof inspection with Yellowhammer Roofing will also help to leave you fully prepared for the cold winter days right around the corner.
Take the following steps to help reduce your household energy usage:
- Seal as many energy leaks as you can find in your home. Whether it’s placing a rolled towel at the bottom of a drafty door or installing weatherstripping purchased from one of Birmingham’s home improvement stores, making your home more tightly sealed is an excellent investment in time and money.
- Add insulation to your attic. This allows less warm air to escape up and out of your home during winter months.
- Change your furnace filter regularly. A dirty filter will restrict the airflow within your furnace, making it work harder and increasing your utility costs.
- Install a programmable thermostat. These simple devices allow you to pre-set your home to a lower winter temperature during sleeping hours or any time your home will be empty for four hours or longer. By returning your home to a warmer setting before you expect to return, programmable thermostats can result in substantial savings with no reduction in comfort.
- Reduce your water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees, unless you have a dishwasher without an internal heater. In addition to energy savings, this simple adjustment will virtually eliminate the risk of scalding from hot tap water in your home.
- Run your clothes washer and dishwasher only when full – use cold water as much as possible for your clothing.
- If you have an older model water heater, wrap a purchased insulation blanket around the tank for instant savings.
- Consider investing in double or triple pane windows. These will last for many years to come.
Bonus: Check the Roof!
A final way to increase your monthly savings is by scheduling a roof inspection with a trusted local contractor. Although these inspections cost little to no money out of your pocket, they carry exponential amounts of potential savings. You may not be aware if you have a slight leak in your roof until you see visible signs of damage in your walls or ceilings. Fortunately, a professional roof inspection can minimize any potential interior damage. When you are ready, call a trusted professional to complete your winter preparations by making sure your roof is not compromising the insulation and structure of the house you are trying to preserve!
In the Birmingham area, contact Yellowhammer Roofing for a complete roof inspection. As an Owens Corning contractor, you can trust us with all your roofing needs.Roof Inspection Information